“The only reason we don’t open our hearts and minds to other people is that they trigger confusion in us that we don’t feel brave enough or sane enough to deal with.”
I was meeting with someone yesterday who is inquiring to help us with our website. He was so inspiring and perceptive and he recommended that I write something about how I nurture my own creative well.
In a role as a leader who guides others in their personal creative transformation, I am constantly giving energy, ideas, creativity and support. How do I stay creatively nourished and fed…?
He saw it in my eyes… I was tired and quite frankly in a bit of a post-birthday funk. I was depleted and distracted with recent stirrings and churnings in my personal life. He acknowledged this and immediately turned it into a creative opportunity…
The beauty and gift in his offering was twofold:
1) to help me grow my own ability to stay in the overflow (a constant edge I dance with…thus is life, constantly inviting me to expand my capacities and my comfort zone).
2) to turn this awareness and expanded consciousness into a gift to share with my community.
So… how do I nourish my creative well? What do I do when all of me wants to go run and hide from the expectations that linger over me to be on… to be present …to be happy all the time? How do I react to those expectations that I place on myself?
- First, I just let go and surrender to the moment. I stop fighting it. I say to myself, “There is a part of me that I am not taking care of and that delicate, fragile part needs some attention right now. I have to allow myself and all of the parts of myself to just be. I allow the inner child to whine, be needy and make a big fuss. I allow the perfectionist to feel threatened. I allow the big-hearted, over-achieving, obsessively-expansive creative parts of myself to take a backseat.
- Then I breathe. I breath deep from my belly all the way into my hips. I feel all of my feelings as much as possible without judgement or shame. And when the fear comes up I let go even more. Breathe deep into it. Can I accept all of my experience?
- I take a walk or get into nature. Go for a swim. Disconnect from my environment. Mix it up.
- I paint in community...sometimes in the studio and spontaneously in watercolor at home in my gigantic multimedia journal. I use it to access my imagination and sense of playfulness, whimsical and inspirational. Connecting to my inner silliness and I find my flow.
- I write. I write out all of my feelings. I express my feelings as they come up, without judgement. What does the tender part of me need? What is the soul lesson in this experience? I list out what I am grateful for. Is all the love and are all the miracles in my life going unnoticed, unappreciated?
- I move. Jive tawkn energy moving release. I put on loud music in the middle of my house and sometimes just have a big ole dance off with myself. Shake it up. Shake it out. Let it GO.
- I reach out for support and I connect with trusted friends and mentors. I ask them for a light line to support me in regaining my clarity and center.
- I schedule uninterrupted play time to celebrate and take self care–rituals that nurture my body such as massage, yoga, pedicures and facials.
And sometimes it doesn’t shift. I am still in a funk or feel depleted and sometimes I just have to allow myself to do nothing. To just be…with no agenda, no expectation and no worry…for as long as I need to.
Sometimes I just need to stay in bed and not do anything at all.
This funk is shifting as I write. It reminds me that when I connect to my creativity and express myself, I feel whole and complete. When I feel whole and complete then everything is in alignment around me. My world is in harmony.
Yes, the bills still need to be paid. The dog walked. Clients served. The heart mended. and Life does go on…
As I surrender to the magic in this moment it fuels me to say yes to the next few…and the next… and I am back in flow. Back to overflowing my well.
How do you fill your creative well and nourish yourself? How do you shift your funk? Better yet, how do you meet and greet it for all the gifts it has to bring you?
Join us in MV! Saturday Painting Classes. Painting Session in Sept! I look forward to seeing you in the studio!
Email me or post on the blog how you fill your creative well. I would love to read what feeds YOU!
with love, peace and unabashed creativity…
offerings to feed your well…
sunday, september 11 at 6pm – september 18, 2011
Nourish your mind, body & creative spirit in a tranquil setting of ponds, nature trails, beaches and a 24 – hour artist barn at The Martha’s Vineyard 7 – Day September Retreat.
“Rejuvenating, memorable, momentous and cathartic, these are the words I use to describe my week at Martha’s Vineyard with Melissa’s Fire Tree group. It was the best investment in the future of my happiness.”
-Bonnie Orbach, Artist, Landscape designer
- accommodations for 7 nights at the artist retreat on Flat Bottom Pond
- all materials
- teachings on the creative process
- morning movement to get the creative juices flowing
- individual coaching & guidance on your unique creative process, blocks in your creativity and life and discovering your authentic voice
- a week of guidance and support individually and as a group
- all gourmet chef-prepared local-organic meals
We have space remaining in a shared loft and twin in the main house as well as space in a shared cottage…all overlook Flat Bottom Pond pond!
Full Payment Required to Secure Your Space
For additional information email email@example.com or call 512 524 0687.
saturdays in the studio.
Spend an afternoon guided by Rebecca Knaggs, certified Facilitator & Coach in The Fire Tree Method™, and awaken and nourish your creative spirit. Immerse yourself in over three hours of exploration, expression, play and deep surrender.
The Saturday Intuitive Painting class welcomes continuing students and first time painters, providing a space to journey through barriers of old patterns and stagnant, less-than-serving beliefs that keep you from tapping into the internal well of creativity, power and life force energy that is within you.
- August Saturday Session
August 20, 2011
- September Saturday Session
September 10, 2011
Investment includes all materials.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or register below:
Click HERE to learn about more of Rebecca’s offerings.